Set Size: 660 cards (one series)
Packaging: 38-pack, 17-card waxboxes; 500-card vending boxes
Notable Cards: "Fernand" Valenzuela RC, Harold Baines RC, "Craig" Nettles ERR
- First effort in 18 years.
- Riddled with errors (corrected and otherwise).
- Cards were grouped by team in the order of their final 1980 record, with the World Series Champion Phillies first. Each Fleer baseball set from 1981-1991 would be arranged this way.
- Two different Rickey Henderson cards.
- Waxboxes contained 38 (as opposed to 36) packs.
- 500-card vending boxes were numbered (1, 2, 3, or 4) and collated in a way so that if one of each box were opened, it would yield three full 660-card sets. Fleer would continue to produce vending boxes until 1985.
- Only post-'63 Fleer baseball set packaged with gum.
- Design recycled for the 2001 Fleer Platinum set.